One man post hole diggers are used for digging holes in the ground for posts that support fences, signs, or other structures. They are hand held by one person. They consist of a handle attached to an elongated shaft that has a blade at the end. These tools can be used to make holes up to about 4 feet deep.
One-man augers should not be used for holes larger than 8 inches in diameter. As well be aware of using too much force when pushing the auger into the ground. The auger will break and it is possible to lose control if you use excessive pressure.
The one man auger is best suited if operated by one person and the depth of the hole is less than 3 ft. It is also suitable for shallow trenches where the soil is soft enough to allow easy penetration with minimal resistance. If you are looking for a light use around your home, this tool may be ideal. In this article, lets us see the best one man posthole digger reviews.
Best One-man Auger For Post Hole Digging
Earthquake 35064 Powerhead with 8 inch Auger Bit
- RELIABLE & POWERFUL: Outstanding power, durability and efficiency from a 1-man earth auger. Industrial air filtration keeps dirt out of your engine and running smooth.
- DURABLE & TOUGH: The Powerhead is lightweight yet built with heavy-duty construction using steel welded handlebars. The transmission features ball bearings and alloy gears built to withstand the challenges of digging in the dirt.
- COMFORTABLE – The powerhead features anti-vibration foam-grip handles, with an easy-to-grip fingertip throttle control.
- RUGGED: The included 8” auger is constructed of durable steel, heavy-duty welds and a powder coat finish. Complete with fishtail point, Flex Coil Shock absorber and replaceable blades your auger will stand the test of time.
- RIGHT SIZED: With a 36” long auger, the Earthquake auger makes drilling easy for standing upright when starting or drilling deeper on larger projects. Other augers skimp on length, know the difference.
With more than 500,000 earth augers sold and world-class customer service available in the US, Earthquake is one of America’s most trusted brands. Designed to handle even the toughest jobs, Earthquake auger powerheads are equipped with ball bearing, alloy gear drive transmissions. The handlebars are welded to the frame and are made of strong materials.
Engine Power: 43cc
Engine Type: Viper 2-Cycle
Fuel Type: Gas+oil mixture
Output Torque: 46.5 ft-lb
The power head makes it easier to get through hard soil. This model uses two cycle gas engine and is powered by a small tank of propane. There is an easy-to-grip fingertip throttle control and anti-vibration foam-grip handles on the powerhead. An 8″ auger is included that is made from durable steel, has heavy-duty welding and is powder coated. 8″ auger bit suitable for putting 4×4 posts into the ground. It’s very easy to replace the auger bit on this tool.
The auger works great for making holes in soft soils such as clay or sand. It also works fine for creating holes around trees, shrubs, etc. This tool is perfect for people who want to save some money while still having access to a quality earth auger. The power head works great as long as you don’t have rocks or roots in the way.
Drilling holes for planting, or for occasional use
It is not recommended for large-scale construction projects.
XtremepowerUS 43cc Gas Posthole Digger
- 2-Cycle, 43cc engine provides powerful, efficient performance
- Anti-vibration foam grip handles that reduce fatigue
- Bit turns at 280 RPM maximum to move earth quickly and easily
- Works with augers from 6-in to 10-in in diameter for versatile auger uses
- Assembled dimension: 11-in W x 22-in D x 48-IN H
The one-man earth auger is ideal for digging and boring through holes to plant trees, construct fence posts, and for digging holes for decks.
Engine Power: 43cc
Engine Type: Single cylinder air-cooled, 2-cycle gasoline engine
Fuel Type: Gasoline, 50:1 2-Cycle Pre-blended Fuel
Product Weight: 27.5 lbs (including a 8″ x 28″ auger bit)
For digging and boring holes for decks, fence posts, tree planting, etc., the XtremepowerUS Post Hole Digger provides plenty of power. It is equipped with a powerful 43cc 2-stroke gasoline engine to drill multiple holes in rapid succession. To minimize the operator’s working strength to the maximum extent, the product is designed to be lightweight and easy-to-use. This engine features an easy fuel delivery system with a manual recoil start that allows for quick starts and a translucent fuel tank so that you can easily monitor your fuel levels.
The ergonomically designed handlebar structures incorporate a die-cast metal construction with easy-to-use finger throttle controls, ensuring better power and speed control. Featuring an 8-inch earth auger bit capable of speeding up to 125 RPM.
- Easy to handle and speed control
- Bit hard to start
Southland SEA438 One Man Earth Auger with 43cc, 2 Cycle
- Manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- Includes Gas Powerhead with 8” Auger Bit; 6-inch bit available and sold separately
- Direct gear with solid steel drive shaft
- Wide detachable butterfly handles for better balance and convenient storage
- Depending on soil conditions, the maximum depth using the 8 inch bit is 2.5 feet.
Southland’s earth auger is lightweight, powerful, and user-friendly. The Southland earth auger is easy to assemble and easy to operate thanks to its manual recoil start. With its 43cc engine and 316 RPM bit speed, the auger provides fast and efficient drilling. The auger includes an 8 inch drill bit (SEAB8). A separate auger head (SEA43) is also available.
Engine Power: 43cc
Engine Type: 2-cycle engine
Fuel Type: TruFuel 2-Cycle 50:1 Pre-Blended Fuel
Output Torque:: 1.3-feet.-lb. of torque
In addition to a clear fuel tank, the auger features ergonomic butterfly handles for comfortable in-use balance and a transparent fuel tank for easy fuel level monitoring. You can simplify your outdoor work with the Southland earth auger. In addition to digging holes for fence posts, it can also dig through tough soil.
A small bottle of premix oil is included with the auger, along with two open end wrenches. CARB compliant and EPA approved, this auger is backed by a two-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Easy to Dig
- Auger stops encountering small rocks
Landworks Heavy Duty 3HP 52cc 2 Stroke Gas Engine Digger
- THE PERFECT DIRT DIGGING/BURROWING AUGER - Landworks single person Earth Gas Augers are the perfect machine that will empower you to have ultimate control over your land; This Gas Auger has sustained rigorous testing and is EPA Certified.
- POWER THAT MAKES THE DIFFERENCE - This Gas Auger has a powerful 3Hp 52cc Gas 2 Stroke Single Cylinder OHV Engine, that provides excellent power to torque ratio performance, where it counts; This Gas Auger has a Standard Power of 1.3kW, Max Rotating Power of 7000RPMs and a Max Output Power of 235RPMs at a 30:1 reduction gear ratio; This allows for fast and efficient work to be accomplished whether is in the field of work or on your own personal land
- LONG LASTING ADVANCED DESIGN - All of our augers are made of Carbon Coated Steel, providing durability and rust resistance, also this auger includes a Fishtail for precise centering; The alloy steel blades are replaceable, to maximize digging performance; The Push Bolt and R-Pin Clip design allows for the auger to be securely locked in place, eliminating loose or slop/play in the connection
- BEST APPLICATION and FUEL/OIL SPECS - This Earth Gas Auger is great for Garden and Lawn applications in burrowing, digging post holes, dirt removal, soil cultivation, planting bedding, bulbs, seedlings or fertilizing shrubs, water aeration, weed control and root removal; The fuel type for this auger is 30:1 of Gasoline & Oil using the Fuel Mixing Canister of 90-93 Octane Gasoline upto 10% Ethanol and 2 stroke JASO-M345/JASO-FC/FD oil or use 50:1 pre-mix/pre-blend fuel; Max Fuel capacity 1 Liter
- YOUR SAFETY FIRST - The engine is designed to ensure the operator's safety; Always operate the machine according to directions in the user manual, always wear the appropriate ANSI standard hand & eye protection (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED); ONLY use this gas auger for dirt applications, do not use for rock, Stone or metal surfaces/debris
Having ultimate control over your property is possible with Landworks single person Earth Gas Augers. This gas auger has passed rigorous testing and is certified by the EPA.
An excellent power-to-torque ratio for this Gas Auger is provided by the powerful 52cc Gas 2 Stroke Single Cylinder OHV Engine. The gas auger has a standard power of 1.3kW, a maximum rotation speed of 7000RPMs, and a maximum output speed of 235RPMs at a 30:1 reduction gear ratio. You can use this tool whether you are working on your own land or in the field of work.
Engine Power: 52cc
Engine Type: 2 Stroke Gas Engine
Fuel Type: 50:1 pre-mix/pre-blend fuel, 30:1 of Gasoline & Oil
Output Torque:: 235RPMs at a 30:1 reduction gear ratio
These augers feature a Fishtail to ensure precise centering and are made of carbon coated steel for durability and corrosion resistance. Each auger blade is replaceable, ensuring maximum performance. Push Bolt & R-Pin Clip design eliminates loose or slop/play in the connection keeping the auger securely locked into place.
With this Earth Gas Auger, you can burrow, dig post holes, remove dirt, cultivate soil, plant bulbs and seedlings, control weeds and remove roots in your garden and lawn. It requires 30:1 fuel of gasoline at 90 octane and 10% ethanol in a fuel mixing canister or 50:1 pre-blend fuel at 50 octane and 10 ethanol. One liter is the maximum fuel tank capacity.
- Too Hard to start
- Quality Concern
How To Use Auger Post Hole Digger?
Before using auger, ensure the auger bit is suitable for the job . If not, change the bit before starting the auger. Before using the auger, make sure that you have all necessary tools such as gloves, safety goggles, ear plugs, etc. Also, check if there is enough space around the hole where you want to put the post.
The first step is to prepare the ground surface. Remove all existing vegetation. Then, make sure that the area where you want to dig is free from large stones and other debris. If there are any obstacles, mark the location so that you will not accidentally hit them while using the auger.
The next thing you need to do is to set up the auger. Attach the handle to the auger shaft. Make sure that the auger is properly balanced. Adjust the height of the auger until it reaches the desired depth. Once you have adjusted the height, turn on the engine. Start digging.
When digging, keep in mind that the auger should be moving slowly. Otherwise, the auger may get stuck in the ground. When the auger gets stuck, stop the engine.
If you notice any problem during the operation of the auger, immediately shut off the engine. Check if the auger is damaged. If not read our article on how to get an auger unstuck from the ground.
After finishing the job, clean the auger thoroughly. Remove excess mud and debris from the auger. Dispose of the waste materials properly.
One man auger is a great tool for those who love gardening and landscaping. This one man auger is easy to operate, affordable, and very effective. However, it does require a careful consideration when utilizing for heavy projects since they are not designed for heavy duty use. Also the auger bit has a tendency to break if you apply too much force. For best results, try to use the auger with a slow speed.